August 13, 2011

DIY: Rainbow Cake

This rainbow cake, found on One Charming Party, is awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I think I am drooling. They were genius for thinking this sucker up! Be sure to check out the original post in the link above.  Eight bold, differently colored layers are stacked on top of one another to form an awesome mega-cake of epic proportions. I love that it's hidden underneath a layer of plain white frosting so that when you cut into this sucker, all the glory underneath is revealed. I think you should try and make one yourself...I'm sure going to!



1. Divide your cake batter into 8 different bowls. Color each bowl of batter a different color. Our colors are: red, pink, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue, and purple. Bake each layer in an 8″ or 9″ round pan. You will take turns using the pan over and over with different colors. Unless you have 8 round pans. Make sure to grease and flour your pan or put a round of parchment in the bottom to prevent sticking. Let each cake cool slightly before removing. Turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
2. Once the cakes have cooled completely, freeze each layer individually wrapped in plastic. This will make it easier to assemble and frost the cake.
3. Once the cakes are frozen you can start layering your cake in a rainbow pattern, putting frosting in between each layer.
4. Frost the outside of the cake as well.





Photos by Nicole Hill Gerulat. Cake inspired by Kaitlin Flannery’s rainbow cake. This cake created by Dusti Ondryas.


17 comments:

Laura said...

mmm. cake looks even better in color!!

k... said...

Makes me think of Rainbow Brite. So pretty!

Brooke said...

This is fabulous. I am going to make this soon.

Cathy said...

I think these cakes are amazing, they look so cool. @K... I think of Rainbow Brite too.

The one thing that would put me off this cake is my desire to eat the brightly coloured sponge, my brain can't compute it.

Rachel said...

This looks so fun and yummy!!! Fun thing to do with kids! Hmm my bday is coming up..... :)


Rachel

http://itsourlifeasmrandmrstaylor.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love this cake its a good idea for my little girl gracias

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I'm making a birthday cake for my niece next week so I'm going to try this. So pretty!

Rachel @ Bakerita said...

I've made a cake similar to this!
You can see mine http://www.bakerita.com/?p=316 <-- there!
But I love how many layers this one has! So impressive. I'll definitely try to step up my game next time...haha!

Pafka said...

Very, very nice... and smile of a child - priceless ;-)
Look at my douther rainbow cake
http://babeczka.zuzka.pl/2011/08/tort-teczowy/ :-)

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! I am making this for my sisters birthday! Shes coming home from University in 2 days and i cant wait for her to try it!

Anonymous said...

How long do you freeze the cake? couple of minutes? or rock solid frozen? just curious

Catnapping said...

I love those candy colours. I can think of several occasions where such a cake would be a big hit!

Nisha said...

This is a beauty indeed.
Question: how, how long, and where did you store your cake layers by the time you were baking the remaining until you were ready to assemble?
Thanks!

Amber | Bluebonnets and Brownies said...

Every single photo brought a smile to my face. Especially that darling redhead with her green dress!

Laura said...

Georgeous, Incredible!!! The pictures are fantastic and the cake is wonderful. Congratulations for your post. Maybe I'll try to do.

Jill said...

Wow, I never thought this would be something I would be able to make myself! Can't wait to give it a try, I hope my baking skills are up to it!

Anonymous said...

hi was just seeing if you minded a comment. i like your website and the thme you picked is super. I will be back. birthday cakes ontario california

Share

Widgets

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Google Analytics